Dementia Friendly Glencoe
Mission & Vision
Providing community-wide education, awareness and mindfulness around dementia with the goal of decreasing stigma and reducing social isolation by creating a more welcoming and inclusive culture and by providing opportunities for support while navigating through the complex journey.
DFA is a national network of communities, organizations and individuals seeking to ensure that communities across the U.S. are equipped to support people living with dementia and their caregivers. Dementia friendly communities foster the ability of people living with dementia to remain in community and engage and thrive in day to day living. Dementia Friendly America is administered by the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging.
When did DFA begin?
The DFA movement began in September 2015 following the White House Conference on Aging and is based upon Minnesota’s statewide successful initiative, ACT on Alzheimer's. DFA launched in 2015 with pilot communities in Denver, CO; Prince George's County, MD; Santa Clara County, CA; Tempe, AZ; and the state of West Virginia.
What is a Dementia Friendly Community?
A Dementia Friendly Community is a village, town, city or county that is informed, safe and respectful of individuals with the disease, their families and caregivers and provides supportive options that foster quality of life. Joining DFA means a community is engaging in a process to become more dementia friendly.
The Village of Glencoe was welcomed to the Dementia Friendly America Network of Communities in July 2019.
Dementia Friendly Glencoe Action Team:Members:
- Philip Kiraly (Village Manager, Village of Glencoe)
- Sharon Tanner (Assistant Village Manager, Village of Glencoe)
- Cary Lewandowski (Public Safety Director, Village of Glencoe)
- Matthew Esposito (Lieutenant, Village of Glencoe)
- Julie Freund (Public Safety Officer, Village of Glencoe)
- Katherine Sweeney (Community Service Officer, Village of Glencoe)
- William Hansen, MSW (Executive Director, Family Service of Glencoe)
- Emily Mysel, LCSW (Senior Program Manager, Family Service of Glencoe)
- Dr. Catherine Wang (Superintendent, District 35)
- Paula Alexander, LCSW (Social Emotional Wellness Specialist, District 35)
- Liz McClain (Head of Adult Services, Glencoe Public Library)
- Grace Hayek (Programs and Engagement Library, Glencoe Public Library)
- Elizabeth Visteen (Glencoe Park District)
- Marla Jacobson (Glencoe resident)
- Linda Sharp (Glencoe resident)
Dementia Friendly Glencoe meetings are normally held monthly at Village Hall; however, meetings have temporarily been suspended during the COVID-19 health emergency. For more information about Dementia Friendly Glencoe, please contact Emily Mysel, MSW LCSW, at Family Service of Glencoe at (847) 835-5111.