This season the Glencoe Public Safety is participating in the “Keep the Wreath Red” holiday fire awareness program. This public education program is designed to increase fire safety awareness during the holiday season! The goal is to keep all bulbs on the wreath located outside of the Public Safety Bay red. If there is a fire incident because of holiday decorations a red bulb on the wreath will be replaced with a white bulb.
Here are several tips to keep in mind this season:
- Discard any old lights with frayed or worn cords, cracked sockets, or ones where lights light up intermittently
- Never use indoor lights outdoors
- Do not overload extension cords
- Unplug lights before leaving the house or put lights on a timer when you will be away from your home
- Never leave candles unattended
- Keep candles away from items that could catch fire
- Select a tree that is fresh
- Water trees regularly
- Keep trees away from fireplaces/heating vents
- Make sure to turn off tree lights when you go to bed/ leave your home
- Never leave the kitchen while cooking
- Use a timer for food on the stove and in the oven
- Make sure your stove top and burners are clean of any food and grease
For questions about the Keep the Wreath Red campaign or holiday fire prevention tips, contact Public Safety at (847) 835-4112.