Village Snow Removal Reminders
Winter weather has arrived. Please take some time to review the following Village snow removal reminders:
- During snow events, parking on Village streets is prohibited.
- Depending upon the amount of snowfall during an event, Village plow trucks may need to make several passes to ensure that streets are fully open, curb-to-curb.
- Streets with the greatest need (those with the highest amounts of traffic) are treated first, followed by side-streets. Culs-de-sac and dead-ends are usually the least traveled and are treated last. Since sidewalks are cleared after streets have been cleared, and because the equipment used to clear sidewalks cannot operate as quickly as snow plows on the street, it may take a bit of time for your local sidewalks to be cleared. The Public Works Department focuses first on higher traffic sidewalks, such as those in the downtown, near the Metra station and near schools.
- Driveways are often impacted by snow removal. Please remember to shovel snow from your driveway to the “downstream side” to help reduce the snow pushed across your driveway. See image below.
- Please help keep fire hydrants clear of snow.
- Residents and private snow plow companies are prohibited from piling snow on adjacent properties.
If you have any questions about Village snow and ice maintenance, please contact Public Works at (847) 835-4134.