View June 14, 2017 Press Release
In recent weeks, Glencoe has experienced numerous vehicle burglaries and vehicle thefts during the overnight hours. All of the targeted vehicles had been left unlocked by the owners. Glencoe remains an easy target for auto theft and auto burglary, mainly because many vehicles remain unlocked overnight. Criminals are very aware of this and keep returning to Glencoe in search of unlocked vehicles. Many of them are habitual criminals from Chicago, and many have been known to be armed and use the stolen vehicles to commit additional and sometimes violent crimes. Should they be encountered, these violent criminals pose a threat to community members as well as our Public Safety Officers.
Taking these simple steps to secure your property will significantly reduce the incidence of these crimes of opportunity in Glencoe, making it safer for you, our officers and your fellow residents.
- Lock and secure unattended vehicles at all times
- Ensure that valuables left inside are hidden from plain view
- Do not leave the keys or key fobs inside the vehicle
- Close and lock home and garage doors and windows, especially overnight
- Remain alert at all times
- As always, if you see or hear suspicious activity, please call 9-1-1 to report it immediately
Please contact the Public Safety Department at (847) 835-4112 with questions and share this information with your neighbors.