Home fires occur more in winter than in any other season. As you stay cozy and warm, be fire smart! Follow these tips to help prevent fires in your home and to leave your home safely should a fire take place:
- Install smoke alarms in every sleeping room and outside each separate sleeping area.
- Make an escape plan. Walk through your home and inspect all possible exits and escape routes. Households with children should consider making a map of your home to show ways of getting outside.
- 86% of all home-heating fire deaths involve portable space heaters. Do not leave space heaters unattended and keep away from flammable materials.
- Clean the lint out of your dryer after every cycle.
- Do not leave a burning candle unattended.
- Have a qualified professional clean and inspect your chimney and vents every year.