Keep the Wreath Red
Holiday decorations are going up across the Village, and the same is true at Village Hall. Each winter, a wreath strung with red lights is hung outside the Public Safety fire bay and remains lit 24/7 during the holiday season. If a fire occurs as a result of a holiday decoration, a white bulb replaces a red one. Help Public Safety Keep the Wreath Red by following some simple holiday fire safety tips:
- Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
- Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
- When displaying a fresh tree, keep the stand filled with water so the tree does not dry out quickly. Dry trees can be a serious fire hazard.
- Stand your tree away from fireplaces, radiators and other heat sources.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking something on the stovetop.
- Unattended cooking equipment is one of the leading causes of home cooking fires.
- Test your smoke alarms and tell guests about your home fire escape plan.