Village Hydrant Flushing Schedule
April 22 - May 10, 2019
Annual maintenance of the Village's fire hydrant system will take place Monday, April 22 through Friday, May 10. The purpose of this maintenance program is to ensure fire hydrants are fully operational and to remove any sediment that had built up in the water main system over the course of the prior year.
Flushing is divided into three zones with the following schedule (subject to change depending on weather conditions):
- Monday, April 22 - Friday, April 26: Neighborhoods generally north of Dundee Road (west of Green Bay Road) and north of Beach Road (east of Green Bay Road)
- Monday, April 29 - Friday, May 3: Neighborhoods south of Dundee/Beach Road and north of South Avenue
- Monday, May 6 - Friday, May 10: Neighborhoods south of South Avenue
Hydrant Flushing Tips and Reminders
- Water discoloration is normal. This is not harmful and will dissipate after a short time. It is recommended to run cold water for several minutes to clear your pipes.
- Residents are urged not to do laundry during periods of flushing in your area to avoid staining of clothing, which may occur due to the disturbance in the water main. Note that if your laundry does become stained, do not put it in the dryer. Rewash your clothes immediately using detergent and add rust remover.
- Should discoloration occur for more than a few hours, remember that the discoloration only affects the color of the water but not the water quality. No health hazards are associated with discolored water from hydrant flushing.
- If water pressure or water volume seems low after flushing has been completed, check your faucet screens for trapped particles.