Public Safety Reminder: Traffic Laws
The Public Safety Department has recently received several complaints about vehicles failing to yield right-of-way to pedestrians walking in crosswalks, particularly during after-school hours. Both drivers and pedestrians are responsible for traffic safety, and the Village encourages residents to keep in mind the following traffic safety laws.
Here are some of the most common situations where a driver must come to a complete stop and yield:
- When a pedestrian is using a marked crosswalk, especially a child;
- When a pedestrian is walking with a green light or a walking symbol;
- When a pedestrian enters a crosswalk before the traffic light has changed;
- When a pedestrian is entering a street from an alley, building or driveway;
- When making a turn at any intersection; and,
- After coming to a complete stop at a stop sign or flashing red signal at an intersection
If you have any questions about traffic laws, please contact the Public Safety Department at (847) 835-4112.