Garbage Collection Program with Lakeshore Recycling Systems
As of Wednesday, November 1, the new garbage collection program with Lakeshore Recycling Systems (LRS) is officially underway. Residents who have not yet signed up for service must call LRS at 773-685-8811.
Read on for tips to help you transition to the new program. You can also learn more about the analysis that went into the decision to outsource here.
New Program Quick Tips
- Start date: Wednesday, November 1
- Collection days: Collection days stay the same for all households. Look up your collection day here.
- Collection time: As with the previous Village program, please have your garbage and recycling out by 7 a.m. on your collection day.
- Curbside collection: Many residents elected to change their service level from top-of-drive to curbside for the new program. If you now have curbside collection, you are asked to have both your garbage and recycling carts to the curb by 7 a.m. on your collection day. View a diagram of proper cart placement here.
- Reporting missed collection: Please report missed collections to LRS directly at (773) 685-8811.
- New cart delivery and old cart removal: On Monday, October 23, Lakeshore Recycling Systems began garbage cart delivery to residents who signed up for service and elected to receive new 65- or 95- gallon carts. Should you still need a cart or if you would like to exchange your cart for a different size, please contact LRS directly at (773) 685-8811.
- Leaf Collection Program: Expect no changes to leaf collection this year. Leaves will continue to be collected curbside by Village Public Works Crew members this season and LRS will continue that practice next year. Learn more about how to participate in the program and what areas Village crews have reached here.
- Yard Waste Program: LRS will continue the Yard Waste Program in its current form. As part of the service selection, you were able to opt-in to a Yard Waste Subscription Program, or you can also continue to pay for each bundle or bag of yard waste with a yard waste sticker. Stickers will continue to be sold for $2.25 at Village Hall (open from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday), as well as at the Grand Food Center on Hazel Avenue (open 7 a.m.-9 p.m. daily). For the remainder of this season (through December), you may continue to use your Village yard waste stickers, but we do ask that prior to December 15 you bring any additional stickers into Village Hall to be exchanged one-for-one with LRS stickers.
- Final Garbage and Recycling Bills from the Village: The Village currently bills for garbage and recycling services, in addition to water and sewer. Once the new program begins, the Village will continue to bill for water and sewer, but your garbage and recycling bill will come directly from LRS. Because the Village is billed on a rotating basis, you may notice a bill from the Village and LRS come within the same month, but if you fall into this group, the Village has already taken steps to prorate your bill to ensure you don’t pay more than required. Questions about your final Village bill for garbage and recycling? Contact the Finance Department at (847) 835-4113. After November 1, all garbage and recycling billing questions should be directed to LRS at (773) 685-8811.
More questions? Please reference the FAQs below:
Service Level Options with Lakeshore Recycling Systems
As part of the transition to LRS, residents had the opportunity to select from service levels and cart sizes for the new program. The official selection period ended Monday, October 16. If you have not yet made your service selection, please call LRS at (773) 685-8811.
As with the Village’s previous program, residents have the option of selecting between curbside or top-of-drive service, collected either once-weekly or twice-weekly. Service levels are for garbage collection only, as all recycling will continue to be collected curbside. Quarterly fees are inclusive of garbage and recycling collection, fall leaf collection and two semi-annual clean-up days, and are as follows:
- Curbside, Once-Weekly: $68.80
- Curbside, Twice-Weekly: $113.47
- Top-of-drive, Once-Weekly: $98.97
- Top-of-drive, Twice-Weekly: $161.47
LRS has also agreed to offer a garbage collection hardship program for those who are unable to bring their garbage carts to the curb. To view the following options as an infographic, click here
At the onset of the program, LRS will deliver one standardized cart to each household for no additional fee. Curbside cart options are 65-gallon or 95-gallon. Top-of-drive options are a 65-gallon cart, or residents can choose to use up to three of their own cans (under 44-gallons each).
Optional Yard Waste and Food Scrap Program Subscription
Residents may also choose to opt-in to the Annual Yard Waste Subscription Program for 2018 (which will begin April 1) when making their service selection. The yard waste collection program, which now includes an optional food scrap composting component, is an additional annual cost of $125 or can be paid for through the use of yard waste stickers which will continue to be sold for $2.25 at Village Hall and the Grand Food Center.
Please note that the Village's current yard waste stickers will not be accepted after the 2017 yard waste season. Please limit the amount of stickers you are purchasing. Should you have any remaining stickers after yard waste collection ends, please trade them in for new LRS yard waste stickers.
View the August 25 media release regarding the Village Board's decision here