If you want to learn skills to help you prepare for a great career, apply today to be a Glencoe Public Works Trainee. Public Works Trainees learn skills needed to maintain streets, sidewalks, water and sewer systems, forestry and grounds, along with snow and ice removal during the winter months – with technical and safety training, you’ll learn the skills needed to begin a career in Public Works!
Public Works Trainees work outdoors in all weather conditions to assist full-time Public Works staff with infrastructure maintenance, forestry and grounds keeping and responding to after-hours weather event emergencies as needed.
The Public Works Department is a full-service department that integrates traditional operational services, infrastructure maintenance, capital projects, engineering, community development and planning services. The Public Works Trainee position is a temporary position having a six month engagement with the potential for additional engagements dependent on need and work performance. Although the Village cannot guarantee full-time employment after Trainees complete engagements, many employees who have held this position have gone on to full-time Public Works careers.
Besides learning technical skills, you’ll receive training that may include some or all of the following; commercial driver’s license training, confined space entry, trench/shoring, workzone safety/flagger, first aid, wood chipper and chainsaw operations.
If you’re ready to learn the skills you need to be equipped for a career, apply today!
- Forestry and grounds keeping maintenance
- Street, sidewalk and curb maintenance
- Sewer system maintenance
- Water system maintenance
- Snow & ice control services
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) strongly preferred
- Valid driver’s license
Interpersonal and Communication
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to work with a team
- Maintain strong working relationship with Public Works staff
- Familiarity with using hand tools and power tools/equipment
- Ability to complete worksheets and reports
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Constant lifting and/or moving up to 65 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds
- Frequent walking and standing (sometimes on uneven surfaces), talking, listening and operating computer (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Walking, grasping, lifting and carrying objects; reaching, operating hand controls and small tools, operating foot controls (such as driving a light-duty vehicle)
- Work time is performed outdoors in all weather conditions and in a variety of environmental conditions, including (but not limited to) heat, cold, humidity, wind, rain, snow, dust and conditions normally associated with working outdoors and using hand tools and power equipment
- Strong emphasis on workplace safety
Starting pay rate is $15-$20 per hour depending on qualification, plus a $500 signing bonus after four weeks of employment.
How to Apply
Please e-mail cover letter, resume and application to email@example.com and reference Job ID 22-05 PW Trainee in the subject line of the e-mail, or return completed application to Village Hall, 675 Village Court, Glencoe, Illinois, 60022. The position will remain open until filled; resumes will be reviewed as received. Persons requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are asked to contact the Village Manager’s Office at (847) 835-4114. The Village of Glencoe is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled