Communicate, create and innovate as the Village of Glencoe’s new Communications Manager.
The Village is seeking its first ever Communications Manager, a new position in the Village Manager’s Office that oversees the Village’s public communications function, champions and models exceptional customer service and engages with the community through public outreach efforts and special events.
Who we are: Our team is made up of people with diverse backgrounds and experience and we share a common goal – providing the very best services to the Glencoe community.
What we do: Our vision – shared by the Village Board and staff – is to make Glencoe the community that people choose to live, work and do business, by providing innovative, responsive, high-quality public services in an environmentally and fiscally sustainable manner. Each member of our team contributes to achieving this vision! We place our customers’ needs first, we strive to be leaders and innovators, and we believe in always looking for ways to improve.
What the job is: Simply put, the Communications Manager is a creative communicator and the drive to provide the highest level of service possible to the community.
The Communications Manager is a critical part of the Village’s team, acting as a key communicator and spokesperson, customer service champion and analyst. The Village is seeking someone who can continue growing and improving our multi-channel communication and engagement strategy. When surveyed in 2019, approximately 80% of Village residents were satisfied or very satisfied with our bi-weekly e-mail news and our website and nearly 60% of our residents are satisfied or very satisfied with our social media. As an organization committed to continuous improvement, we’re excited for the Communications Manager to continue to improve on this base, and to be innovative in implementing best and emerging community engagement practices to ensure that our residents continue to find our communications informative, easy to access and transparent.
As part of a smaller organization with many exciting projects planned and underway, the Communications Manager won’t be limited to only working on communications – there will be opportunities to participate in and/or lead projects part of our strategic plan, plan and coordinate special events intended to support community engagement, and champion excellent customer service in the organization and analyze customer satisfaction levels.
Why Glencoe: In Glencoe, we strive to live our values. As a local government and as an employer, we prioritize building a culture of inclusion, environmental sustainability, continuous improvement, sound financial management, ethical government and providing the highest level of service to all of our customers (our residents, our businesses and our employees). Glencoe has a proven track record of investing in our community’s infrastructure, our organization’s technology and our employees so that we are able to be a responsive, progressive organization.
As an employer, Glencoe offers a highly competitive salary and benefit package, including flexible work arrangements (flexible scheduling and partial telecommuting), six weeks of paid family care leave after one year of service, generous vacation and sick leave, IMRF pension and great health insurance options.
Our employees have consistently said they like the strong sense of teamwork in Glencoe and our residents have shared overwhelmingly positive feedback about the Village. In a 2019 community survey, 99% of respondents rated Glencoe as an excellent or good place to live and 93% said they are very satisfied or satisfied with Village services, earning Glencoe national recognition for outstanding service delivery!
Diversity, equity and inclusion are critical to the Village’s success. The Village is committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive workforce in which all employees are valued, respected and have a sense of belonging. The Village is proud to have a diverse workforce in which all individuals are celebrated.
This position requires an excellent communicator who is creative, analytical, innovative and shares the Village’s vision – if that’s you, apply today!
- Multi-Channel Communication – Plans, implements and manages the Village’s public communication function (including website, social media, electronic and hard copy communications); responsible for developing a regular internal employee communications program; administers graphic standards and style guide; builds and maintains media and photo repositories
- Media Relations – Cultivates and maintains strong working relationship with the media and acts as the primary Village spokesperson on non-Public Safety matters; coordinates and engages in crisis communication, responds to and/or supports after-hours emergencies by creating and disseminating public information and assisting with administrative tasks to support emergency operations as needed
- Creative Design – Boils down complex and technical topics into concise copy and creative graphics for Village publications; designs marketing materials for Village programs and events
- Special Events – Plans, coordinates and promotes Village-sponsored special events, acts as liaison to external organizations holding special events in the community
- Innovation and Process Improvement – Incorporates best and emerging practices in community engagement and communications with the goal of continually improving the Village’s communications programs, gathers resident feedback and communication; promotes and leads continuous process improvement initiatives through business process review and redesign, researches best and emerging practices, recommends and implements process changes to improve quality of services and/or cost of services in a customer-centric manner
- Trainer and Leader – Facilitates periodic trainings on communication plan and standards, crisis communications, media relations and customer service
- Customer Service Champion – Provides and models exceptional customer service, routinely communicates customer service standards and leads customer service training among staff teams
- Staff Liaison – Serves as staff liaison to volunteer boards/commissions as assigned; attends Village Board meetings
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, marketing, journalism, public relations or a closely-related field; master’s degree strongly preferred
- 4-6 years of related experience
- Valid driver’s license or ability to commute to offsite locations (such as special events), including outside of normal business hours
- Advanced proficiency in website and social media management (including legal requirements, accessibility standards, best and emerging practices) and strong knowledge of government-centric online engagement platforms
- Advanced proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop or similar design software
- Strong research and analysis skills, including data analysis and ability to formulate recommendations with a strong focus on the best outcome for the community
- Ability to apply project management techniques and principles to manage multiple projects
- Proficiency in process evaluation practices and techniques, ability to lead change management initiatives
- Strong technology skills, Microsoft Office suite skills and desire to incorporate technology into business processes
Interpersonal and Communication
- Excellent communication skills, ability to adapt style to situation/audience, ability to explain complicated technical matters to individuals with or without technical knowledge, ability to speak extemporaneously (including responding to the media)
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build and maintain positive working relationships
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Good team member also capable of working independently
- Self-starter able to manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Emphasis on continuous improvement
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Occasional lifting/carrying up to 10-20 pounds (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Frequent walking and standing (sometimes on uneven surfaces), talking, listening, and operating computer (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Work is primarily performed in an office setting with occasional outdoor work (e.g. at special events, etc.)
- The Village is open to considering occasional telecommuting and/or flexible hours, if mutually beneficial to the Village and the employee
- The Village strongly encourages COVID-19 vaccination as part of the Village’s commitment to providing a safe work environment and to continue serving the community. Per Village policy, all employees are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or undergo regular COVID-19 testing
- Strong emphasis on workplace safety
Effective January, 1, 2022, the salary range for the position is $76,138 to $102,787. The Village offers great benefits, including Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund pension, health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance among others.
How to Apply
Please e-mail cover letter, resume, and application to email@example.com and reference Job ID 21-17 Communications Manager in the subject line of the e-mail. The position will remain open until filled and resumes will be reviewed upon receipt - the Village would like to select a highly-qualified candidate soon.
Persons requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are asked to contact the Village Manager’s Office at (847) 835-4114. The Village of Glencoe is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled