Are you interested in advancing your career, learning new skills and serving the Glencoe community? The Village of Glencoe is seeking a dynamic individual with a passion for public service to join our team as the next Public Works Maintenance Equipment Operator (MEO).
Who we are: Our team is made up of people with diverse backgrounds and experience and we share a common goal – providing the very best services to the Glencoe community.
What we do: Our vision is to make Glencoe the community that people choose to live, work and do business, by providing innovative, responsive, high-quality public services in an environmentally and fiscally sustainable manner. Everyone on our team contributes to us achieving this vision! This means that we put our customers’ needs first, we strive to be leaders and innovators, and we believe in always looking for ways to improve.
What the job is: MEOs perform a variety of skilled and semi-skilled maintenance work in the areas of forestry and grounds, streets, water distribution, sewers and facilities. MEOs operate a variety of equipment including wheel loaders, excavators, utility trucks, hydraulic lifts, common hand and power tools, self-contained breathing apparatuses and mobile radios. MEOs must be available to respond to after-hours emergencies. MEOs are included in a collective bargaining unit represented by the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, AFL-CIO (AFSCME).
Why Glencoe: In Glencoe, we strive to live our values. As a local government and as an employer, we prioritize building a culture of inclusion, environmental sustainability, continuous improvement, sound financial management, ethical government and providing the highest level of service to all of our customers (our residents, our businesses and our employees). Glencoe has a proven track record of investing in our community’s infrastructure, our organization’s technology and our employees so that we are able to be a responsive, progressive organization. The Calendar Year 2022 budget that begins January 1, 2022 totals over $36 million; Glencoe boasts a AAA rating from S&P Global Ratings for 18 years running and over 35 years of recognition for excellence in budgeting and financial reporting.
As an employer, Glencoe offers a highly competitive salary and benefit package, generous vacation and sick leave, IMRF pension and great health insurance options.
Our employees have consistently said they like the strong sense of teamwork in Glencoe and our residents have shared overwhelmingly positive feedback about the Village. In a 2019 community survey, 99% of respondents rated Glencoe as an excellent or good place to live and 93% said they are very satisfied or satisfied with Village services, earning Glencoe national recognition for outstanding service delivery!
Diversity, equity and inclusion are critical to the Village’s success. The Village is committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive workforce in which all employees are valued, respected and have a sense of belonging. The Village is proud to have a diverse workforce in which all individuals are celebrated.
- Forestry and grounds (tree planting, trimming and removal; landscaping)
- Sanitary and storm sewer systems maintenance (installing, repairing, cleaning sewers; rebuilding and repairing manholes, catch basins and valve vaults; maintaining lift station facilities)
- Water distribution system maintenance (repairing water mains, fire hydrants and valves, installing taps and repairing water services; installing, reading and maintaining water meters)
- Street maintenance (patching, sidewalk repair, snow plowing and salting, street signage, street lighting)
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree
- 1-3 years of related experience
- Class A or B CDL with air brakes endorsement (must be obtained within 6 months of hire)
- Knowledge of equipment, methods and procedures used in general construction activities
- Use of IT systems including radios, telephones, tablets, laptops and computers
Interpersonal and Communication
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to work with a team
- Maintain strong working relationship coworkers
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Constant lifting and/or moving up to 65 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds
- Frequent walking and standing (sometimes on uneven surfaces); talking and listening
- Walking, grasping, lifting and carrying objects; reaching, operating hand controls and small tools, operating foot controls
- Work outdoors in all weather conditions, such as heat, cold, humidity, wind, rain, snow, dust
- Frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, vibration and may occasionally be exposed to fumes or airborne particles of toxic or caustic chemicals; required to use appropriate safety equipment
- Ability to work at varying ladder and aerial lift heights; and work in excavations, trenches and confined spaces of varying depths
- Ability to work long and unpredictable hours in times of emergency
- Strong emphasis on workplace safety
- The Village strongly encourages COVID-19 vaccination as part of the Village’s commitment to providing a safe work environment and to continue serving the community. Per Village policy, all employees are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or undergo regular COVID-19 testing
The base salary for the position is $59,937 (plus the opportunity for additional merit-based pay). The Village offers great benefits, including Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund pension, health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance among others.
How to Apply
Please e-mail cover letter, resume, and application to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference Job ID 21-18 Maintenance Equipment Operator in the subject line of the e-mail. The position will remain open until filled, and first application review will take place on or around December 27, 2021.
Persons requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are asked to contact the Village Manager’s Office at (847) 835-4114. The Village of Glencoe is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled