If you want to learn skills to help you prepare for a great career, apply today to be a Glencoe Public Works Seasonal employee. Glencoe’s Seasonal employees learn skills needed to maintain streets, sidewalks, water and sewer systems, forestry and grounds, along with snow and ice removal during the winter months. In the last three years, half of Glencoe’s Public Works Seasonal employees have gone on to obtain full-time positions in the public works field.
Seasonal employees work outdoors in all weather conditions to assist full-time Public Works staff with infrastructure maintenance, forestry and groundskeeping operations as well as responding to after-hours emergencies as needed.
The Public Works Department is a full-service department that integrates traditional operational services, infrastructure maintenance, capital projects, engineering, community development and planning services. Seasonal employees typically work seasons not longer than a six-month work engagement. However, dependent on an employee’s performance, the Village may offer the employee additional six-month engagements.
- Seasonal forestry and grounds keeping
- Assist street and sidewalk maintenance crews
- Assist sewer maintenance crews
- Assist water and sewer maintenance crews
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) strongly preferred
- Valid driver’s license
Interpersonal and Communication
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to work with a team
- Maintain strong working relationship with Public Works staff
- Familiarity with using hand tools and power tools/equipment
- Ability to complete worksheets and reports
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Constant lifting and/or moving up to 65 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds
- Frequent walking and standing (sometimes on uneven surfaces), talking, listening and operating computer (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Walking, grasping, lifting and carrying objects; reaching, operating hand controls and small tools, operating foot controls (such as driving a light-duty vehicle)
- Work time is performed outdoors in all weather conditions and in a variety of environmental conditions, including (but not limited to) heat, cold, humidity, wind, rain, snow, dust and conditions normally associated with working outdoors and using hand tools and power equipment
- Strong emphasis on workplace safety
Starting pay is between $13.50 and $16.00 per hour, depending on qualifications; there are no fringe benefits.
How to Apply
Please e-mail cover letter, resume and application to email@example.com and reference Job ID 21-13 PW Seasonal in the subject line of the e-mail, or return completed application to Village Hall, 675 Village Court, Glencoe, Illinois, 60022. The position will remain open until filled; resumes will be reviewed as received. Persons requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are asked to contact the Village Manager’s Office at (847) 835-4114. The Village of Glencoe is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The successful candidate shall be fully vaccinated with the COVID-19 vaccine and shall provide their COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card which shall be retained by the Village.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are critical to the Village’s success. The Village seeks to recruit the most talented individuals from a diverse candidate pool and strongly encourages applications to be submitted from all genders, all races, all sexual orientations, people with disabilities, and Military Veterans. The Village is committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive workforce in which all employees are valued, respected and have a sense of belonging. The Village is proud to have a diverse workforce in which all individuals are celebrated.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled