If you’re a graduate student in becoming a local government management professional, apply today for the Village of Glencoe’s Administrative Intern position! The Administrative Intern is a part-time position that offers current students in graduate school, or recent graduates, who hope to pursue a career in local government management with hands-on learning opportunities with experienced public administrators.
Who we are: Our team is made up of people with diverse backgrounds and experience and we share a common goal – providing the very best services to the Glencoe community.
What we do: Our vision is to make Glencoe the community that people choose to live, work and do business, by providing innovative, responsive, high-quality public services in an environmentally and fiscally sustainable manner. Everyone on our team contributes to us achieving this vision! This means that we put our customers’ needs first, we strive to be leaders and innovators, and we believe in always looking for ways to improve.
What the job is: This is a great opportunity to learn about all facets of local government management and operations! As a “hands-on” learning experience, the Administrative Intern supports the Village Manager’s Office operations, gaining valuable experience and training to begin a career in local government management. The Administrative Intern provides outstanding customer service, conducts research and analysis to make public policy and business process recommendations, completes special projects, assists with the Village’s public communications, and assists with day-to-day Village operations as well as participating in and attending public meetings.
- Provides outstanding customer service to customers by telephone and in-person.
- Researches public policy topics and business practices; synthesizes information and makes recommendations regarding public policies and/or business practices.
- Assists with fulfillment of Freedom of Information Act requests.
- Supports the Village public communications programs by developing and disseminating public information on the Village’s website, social media and print publications, adhering to the Village’s communication protocols and style standards.
- Supports volunteer committee/commission staff liaisons as assigned.
- Assists with planning and staffing Village-sponsored special events as assigned.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
- Assists with development of the Village Manager’s Office preliminary budget requests and budget projections; participates in Village-wide budget development.
- Supports the Village’s Strategic Plan as a project team member and assists with maintenance of the Strategic Plan document.
- Assists with certain human resource management functions as assigned by the Assistant Village Manager
- Provides administrative support during day-to-day operations and may be assigned administrative support responsibilities during emergencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Village Manager, Assistant Village Manager or Assistant to the Village Manager
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in progress
- Less than one year of related experience
- Valid driver’s license
- Basic knowledge of public administration principles and theories
- Strong technology skills, Microsoft Office suite skills and desire to incorporate technology into business processes
Interpersonal and Communication
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Great communication skills and ability to adapt style to fit audience
- Good team member also capable of working independently
- Self-starter able to manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Emphasis on continuous improvement
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Occasional lifting/carrying up to 10-20 pounds (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Frequent walking and standing (sometimes on uneven surfaces), talking, listening, and operating computer (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Work is primarily performed in an office setting
- Strong emphasis on workplace safety
Hourly pay is $16 to $17 per hour, depending on qualifications, and is eligible for enrollment in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund pension program.
How to Apply
Please e-mail cover letter, resume, and application to email@example.com and reference Job ID 21-01 Administrative Intern in the subject line of the e-mail. First resume review will be conducted on or around January 29, 2021.
Persons requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are asked to contact the Village Manager’s Office at (847) 835-4114. The Village of Glencoe is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled