If you want to learn skills to help you prepare for a great career, apply today to be a Glencoe Public Works Seasonal employee. Glencoe’s Seasonal employees learn skills needed to maintain streets, sidewalks, water and sewer systems, forestry and grounds, along with snow and ice removal during the winter months. In the last three years, half of Glencoe’s Public Works Seasonal employees have gone on to obtain full-time positions in the public works field.
Seasonal employees work outdoors in all weather conditions to assist full-time Public Works staff with infrastructure maintenance, forestry and groundskeeping and responding to storms after-hours emergencies as needed.
The Public Works Department is a full-service department that integrates traditional operational services, infrastructure maintenance, capital projects, engineering, community development and planning services. Seasonal employees typically work seasons not longer than six months. The next season will begin on or around April 15 and end on or around September 30; however, the length of the season may be adjusted by the Village.
- Seasonal forestry and grounds keeping
- Assist street and sidewalk maintenance crews
- Assist sewer maintenance crews
- Assist water and sewer maintenance crews
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) strongly preferred
- Valid driver’s license
Interpersonal and Communication
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to work with a team
- Maintain strong working relationship with Public Works staff
- Familiarity with using hand tools and power tools/equipment
- Ability to complete worksheets and reports
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Constant lifting and/or moving up to 65 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds
- Frequent walking and standing (sometimes on uneven surfaces), talking, listening and operating computer (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Walking, grasping, lifting and carrying objects; reaching, operating hand controls and small tools, operating foot controls (such as driving a light-duty vehicle)
- Work time is performed outdoors in all weather conditions and in a variety of environmental conditions, including (but not limited to) heat, cold, humidity, wind, rain, snow, dust and conditions normally associated with working outdoors and using hand tools and power equipment
- Strong emphasis on workplace safety
Pay rate is $13.50 to $15 per hour, depending on qualifications; there are no fringe benefits.
How to ApplyPlease e-mail cover letter, resume and application to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference Job ID 20-01 PW Seasonal in the subject line of the e-mail, or return completed application to Village Hall, 675 Village Court, Glencoe, Illinois, 60022. The position will remain open until filled; resumes will be reviewed as received. Persons requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are asked to contact the Village Manager’s Office at (847) 835-4114. The Village of Glencoe is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled