Are you passionate about serving the community and being outdoors? Enjoy working with children and interested in working part-time? The Village of Glencoe is seeking responsible, friendly, safety-conscious individuals to serve as school crossing guards and alternate school crossing guards during the school year.
School crossing guards are an integral part of the Public Safety Department, and help school children safely cross the street and serve as ambassadors of the Village to the community. The Village will provide all required training and equipment, and great communication skills and emphasis on safety are vital. Crossing guards must be able to report to morning and afternoon crossings daily when school is in session, and work outdoors in all weather conditions.
School crossing guards are generally assigned daily crossings, and alternate crossing guards serve as substitutes on an as-needed basis. Alternate crossing guards may be considered for regular assignment as a crossing guard as opportunities become available.
- Assist school children at assigned crossings before and after school (morning and afternoon assignments)
- Communicate with the general public, parents, school officials and other Village employees
- Maintain a safe environment for school children
- Ability to work independently and perform job responsibilities without direct supervision
- Punctuality and ability to remain at designated crossing until conclusion of the assignment
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED, or equivalent combination of education and experience
Functional Knowledge and Certifications
- Ability to communicate effectively with children, the general public, school officials and Village employees
- Ability to maintain the safety of children by providing instructions regarding crossing the street
- Commitment to providing a high level of customer service at all times
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Ability to hold or display stop sign (commonly, a hand-held stop sign) while children cross the street
- Frequent prolonged walking and standing at assigned crossings
- Work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions during the school year
- Ability to pass pre-employment physical, drug test, hearing and vision test
- Strong emphasis on workplace safety
Pay rate is $14 per hour, there are no fringe benefits.
How to Apply
Please e-mail cover letter, resume and application to email@example.com and reference Job ID 17-10 Crossing Guard in the subject line of the e-mail. The position will remain open until filled. Persons requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are asked to contact the Village Manager’s Office at (847) 835-4114. The Village of Glencoe is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled