Entry-Level Hiring Process
No prior certifications or licenses needed!
The PSO application and testing process isn’t your average job interview - as seen from the process below, candidates complete a thorough and competitive testing process before being hired as a PSO. The PSO hiring process includes the following steps:
- PSO application and notice of exam posted online;
- Written exam;
- Top candidates participate in a first interview with the Public Safety Commission;
- Candidates placed on an initial eligibility list and invited to apply for preference points (extra points for military service or prior employment as a police officer or firefighter);
- Candidates undergo a thorough background check and polygraph (lie detector) test;
- Top-candidates participate in a final interview with the Public Safety Commission;
- Selected candidates receive a conditional offer of employment and complete a medical exam, drug test and psychological exam.
To be eligible for the entry-level hiring process, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- U.S. Citizen at the time of filing an application
- Minimum age 20 years and 6 months as of April 15, 2023
- Under age 35 as of April 15, 2023
- High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent
- 60 hours of college credit from a nationally accredited junior college, college or university by June 30, 2023
- Illinois Peace Officer Wellness Examination Report (POWER) test completed no earlier than six months prior to date of application and no later than April 30, 2023 (CPAT cards are not accepted)
- Valid state-issued driver's license
- No felony convictions, pursuant to Illinois State law
Questions about the hiring process? Please contact the Village Manager's Office at (847) 835-4114.