The PSO application and testing process isn’t your average job interview - as seen from the process below, candidates complete a thorough and competitive testing process before being hired as a PSO. The PSO hiring process includes the following steps:
- PSO application and notice of exam posted online;
- Written exam;
- Top candidates participate in an assessment center and first interview with the Public Safety Commission;
- Candidates placed on an initial eligibility list and invited to apply for preference points (extra points for military service or prior employment as a police officer or firefighter);
- Candidates undergo a thorough background check and polygraph (lie detector) test;
- Top-candidates participate in a final interview with the Public Safety Commission;
- Selected candidates receive a conditional offer of employment and complete a medical exam, drug test and psychological exam.