Street Division maintains 75 lane miles of streets and 70 miles of sidewalks in the Village, including:
- Pothole patching
- Concrete sidewalk and curb maintenance
- Asphalt street patching
- Sign maintenance
- Street light maintenance
- Snow and ice control operations
- Street sweeping
Street Sweeping Program
The purpose of street sweeping is to remove debris and organics from the Village’s streets and prevent that same material from getting into the Village’s storm water system where it can block pipe and pollute the waterways. The Public Works sweeping operation will make passes through the Village on a regular schedule, covering over 3,000 miles in a typical year.
You can assist Public Works in their efforts to keep streets clean by parking vehicles in your driveway whenever possible. Sweeper operations are most effective on unobstructed streets. In most cases, if an area is missed it is because the sweeper was obstructed from reaching the curb. If you have any questions concerning street sweeping operations, please contact the Public Works Department at (847) 835-4134.
If you have street related questions, or want to report a hazardous situation regarding a Village street or appurtenance, contact Street Supervisor Ray Irby by phone at (847) 461-1155 or via e-mail at email@example.com
The Village owned and maintained street lights are located in the following areas:
- Downtown Business District
- Train Station Parking Lots including parking area on the west side of Old Green Bay Road north of the station
- Hazel Avenue Underpass
- Skokie Heights and Skokie Ridge Subdivisions
Nearly all street lights that are the maintenance responsibility of Commonwealth Edison are mounted on wood utility poles. You can report a Com Ed light outage by phone at (800)-EDISON-1 (334-7661) or via email at www.exceloncorp.com.
If you are unsure of street light responsibility or would like to report a malfunctioning Village light, contact the Public Works Department at (847) 835-4111 or complete and submit the following online service request form.
Directional and regulatory signs within Village right-of-ways are maintained by the Street Division with assistance from the Village’s Engineering Division. The Village maintains safe passage for motorist, cyclists and pedestrians along its roadways and sidewalks through signage that meet MUTCD regulations. If you have a street signage question or concern, please contact the Public Works Department at (847) 835-4111.
Street Light Banners
The business district street lights have been fitted to display banners that help promote and celebrate the Village, its institutions and community-wide civic events. Banners that are appropriate for display include:
- An organization or program subsidized or sponsored by the Village
- Identify the downtown central business district
- Are donated by the chamber of commerce or a retailers association that promote local shopping within the Village
- Are for significant events or institutions that are sponsored by the state or federal government and have unique ties to the Village
- Celebrate significant anniversaries of Village businesses and community institutions in increments of 5 years starting with the 20th anniversary
No banners may be displayed for the purpose of commercial advertising or for promoting any political or social advocacy organization or political or religious message. All banners shall be approved by the Village Manager’s Office and will be installed by the Public Works Department.
If you would like to apply for the opportunity to display banners in the business district please click the link below for the Banner Policy and Application. If you have any questions, please contact Public Works Management Analyst Megan Olson by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or (847) 461-1115.