10 a.m.-1 p.m. on Saturday, May 15, 2021
290 Park Avenue (Southeast Metra Commuter Parking Lot)
The Glencoe Sustainability Task Force is hosting the third annual Donate and Recycle Drop-Off event on Saturday, May 15 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Metra southeast commuter parking lot (290 Park Avenue). This drop-off event is for Glencoe residents and is occurring a week before the Village Clean-Up Day on Saturday, May 22 in an effort to divert reusable and recyclable items from going to landfills.
Please note the following in advance of attending this event:
- Please be prepared to assist unloading your own items, with the exception of Station 2 (Epilepsy Foundation). Volunteers will unload items from trunks at Station 2 and participants should stay in vehicles at Station 2.
- Donations for Station 2 (Epilepsy Foundation): Please note all donated items must be clean, gently used and in working condition. Items must be placed in the trunk of your vehicle and carefully packaged as follows: All clothing, bedding and draperies must be placed in a kitchen or yard bag. All household items should be packaged in box that can lifted by one person. Please stay in your vehicle at this station and volunteers will unload your trunk. A list of items accepted at the Epilepsy Foundation station for this event can be found below.
- No electronics will be accepted at this event. You may recycle electronics at the Document Destruction and Electronic Recycling Event on Saturday, June 19 at the Glencoe Southeast Metra Commuter Lot, or you may schedule an electronics recycling drop-off appointment at the Village Public Works garage on Wednesdays from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. here.
- This event will follow CDC guidelines for COVID-19 precautions. Please wear your face mask while you are dropping off material at the event.
- This is a volunteer organized event. Please be patient!
Please review the list of acceptable and unacceptable items below in advance of attending the event. You can also find the site map here.
ACCEPTABLE ITEMS BY STATION
Station 1: Working Bicycles
- Children and adult bicycles in workable or repairable condition
- Please note all donated items must be clean, gently used and in working condition. Items must be carefully packaged as described below (or will be refused) and placed in the trunk of your vehicle. Please stay in your vehicle at this station and volunteers will unload your trunk.
- Clothing, accessories, bedding and draperies packaged in kitchen or yard bags
- Household goods, children’s toys and small working electric appliances packaged in boxes that can be lifted by one person. No baby items, please.
- Small furniture that can be lifted by one person
- Unpainted solid wood doors
- Decorative tile and cabinet knobs and pulls
- Light and bathroom fixtures with all mounting hardware and screws
- Garden pots and statues
- Construction debris, including concrete, brick, shingles, wood and scrap metal
- Small appliances (No electronics, including TVs or computers)
- White Styrofoam blocks
- Styrofoam peanuts
- Spray paint cans ($1/can)
- No electronics: Electronics will be accepted at the Document Destruction and Electronic Recycling Event scheduled on Saturday, June 19 in the Southeast Metra Commuter Lot. Residents may also drop-off electronics for recycling by appointment on Wednesdays, year-round, at the back of the Public Works Service Building at 325 Temple .
- No batteries, light bulbs, eyeglasses or holiday lights: These items may be dropped off at the Vestibule Drop-Off Center in the Public Works Building year-round, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The Public Works Service Building is located at 320 Hazel Avenue.
- No baby gear. Baby clothing, however, is acceptable at Station 2.
- No large furniture or mattresses: The Chicago Furniture Bank can take these items, if they are clean and in good condition for reuse, by drop-off at their warehouse or you can arrange for a pickup. Please note that there is a suggested monetary donation for their pickup services. You can find more information here.
- No hazardous waste: The Village and the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency will be sponsoring a residential Household Hazardous Waste Collection event in Glencoe on Saturday, June 12, 2021 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Metra southeast commuter parking lot (290 Park Avenue, Glencoe Il, 60022). All participants must reserve an appointment for the Household Hazardous Waste Collection event.