2021 Document Destruction and Electronics Recycling Event
9 a.m.-Noon on Saturday, June 19, 2021
290 Park Avenue (Southeast Metra Commuter Parking Lot)
Glencoe, Il 60022
(NO APPOINTMENTS NECESSARY FOR THIS EVENT!)
The Village of Glencoe and the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC) are sponsoring a dual Document Destruction and Electronics Recycling Event on Saturday, June 19, 2021 from 9 a.m. to Noon in the Village of Glencoe at the Southeast Metra Commuter Parking Lot (290 Park Avenue, Glencoe, IL). Only residents of SWANCC member communities, which includes Glencoe residents, may participate this event. IDs will be checked and no business, school, or institutional documents or electronics will be accepted.
If you cannot attend this event, SWANCC is sponsoring other document destruction events in northern Cook County.
Please review the information below in advance of attending the event.
DOCUMENT DESTRUCTION INFORMATION
Paper that gets shredded at a SWANCC event will be transported to a Materials Recovery Facility, baled and sold to a paper mill. The paper will then be reprocessed and made into new paper and paper products. The stream must be clean and free of any other type of materials – known as “contamination”.
- What types of paper can I bring to a shredding event?
Residents can bring up to six (6) file-size boxes or paper grocery bags of paper documents containing personal information such as; medical forms, bank statements, retired tax records, financial planning or documents with personal information – address labels are not considered “personal information”. Workers will remove documents from vehicles and place them in carts.
- How should my paper be prepared?
- Paper must be dry, clean and loose – not in binders or folders
- Remove all metal clips – small staples are okay
- Remove all plastic covers or binders
- Do Not bring paper in plastic bags
- What types of paper items are NOT ACCEPTED?
- NO – Photos or family albums
- NO - Photo negatives
- NO – Plastic credit or gift cards
- NO - Plastic covers from check books or registers
- NO - Store receipts
- NO - Books
- Some materials that can be recycled in a curbside recycling cart should not be brought to this event, such as:
- NO - Magazines
- NO – Junk mail, ads or coupons
- NO - Greeting cards
- NO - Newspapers
- What is the danger of putting “contamination” in the paper?
Batteries, electronics, medications, sharps, etc. pose a health and safety danger to those touching the paper documents, and batteries can spark fires inside the paper truck as terminal ends come in contact with the metal shredder! Additionally, contamination will lower the value of the recycled paper when sold.
- Please note: If your documents/paper is not prepared correctly, you will be turned away. Thank you for your cooperation!
All electronics brought to the event must be removed from all packaging. Please review the list of accepted electronics below in advance of coming to the event.
- Cable Receivers
- Copy Machines
- Computer mouse
- Video Recorders/players
- Computer Cables
- Computers (desktops, notebooks, tablets)
- Fax Machines
- Mp3 Players
- Satellite Receivers
- Converter Boxes
- Video Game Consoles
- Zip Drives
- Answering Machine
- Postage Machines
- Small Home Appliances (toasters, blenders...)
- Head Sets
- Power Tools or Cords
- Stereo Equipment, Including Speakers
- Vacuum Cleaners