Older Adult Services in GlencoeGlencoe is a wonderful community in which to live. The Village, Public Safety Department and Family Service of Glencoe are partnering to help ensure the wellbeing of all our residents. Listed below are various resources available via the Village and partnering organizations for older adults and caregivers.
Public Safety Resources
- Smart911: Smart911 is a free service in which Glencoe residents can create a Safety Profile that Public Safety Officers can access in the event of an emergency. When anyone in your household dials 911 from a phone associated with a Safety Profile, their profile is immediately displayed to the emergency dispatcher. Older adults can contact Family Service of Glencoe’s Senior Manager Emily Mysel at (847) 835-5111 for assistance registering. Learn more >>
- Wellbeing Checks: At any point if there is concern about a family member, friend or neighbor and you would like Glencoe Public Safety to complete a well-being check, you can call to request an officer go out to the home to check the person’s status.
- KNOXBoxes – Public Safety highly recommends that older residents consider purchasing a KNOXBox. A KNOXBox allows you to securely store a key to your home that is only accessible by first responders. Not only will first responders be able to access you more quickly, a KNOXBox also reduces the likelihood that your property will be damaged. Learn more >>
- Home Safety Surveys – Our officers will be glad to drop by and offer advice on how to keep your home safe from fire hazards and prevent crimes.
- Blood Pressure Checks – Stop by the Public Safety lobby to have your blood pressure checked by a state certified Emergency Medical Technician.
- House Watch – If you're leaving your home for more than a day or two, let Public Safety know and we'll have officers walk the perimeter of your home every few days to ensure it is secure. Schedule your House Watch by calling (847) 835-4112.
- Drug Collection and Disposal – Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Village is temporarily unable to collect prescription drugs at this time. However, the Village does have a special disposal unit to discard sharps (needles) located in the main lobby at Village Hall that is available to residents on Wednesdays during Village Hall business hours (from 9 a.m.- Noon and 1-4 p.m.). Thank you for properly disposing of your sharps.
- Premise Alert Program – The Illinois Premise Alert Program provides for public safety agencies in the State of Illinois to allow people with disabilities, special needs or both to provide information to police, fire and EMS personnel to be kept in a database (stemming from Public Act 96-0788). The information can then be provided to responders dealing with situations involving the special needs individuals. The information is kept confidential. Families, caregivers or the person with the disability or special needs may provide this information. To file for the program, please complete this application.
Family Service of Glencoe Resources
- Glencoe Cares: In partnership with Glencoe Public Safety, the Glencoe Cares program helps provide Glencoe seniors with additional support when receiving emergency assistance. Learn more >>
- Referral Services: Not sure where to look for services? Contact Emily Mysel, Senior Program Manager, at (847) 835-5111 / email@example.com
- Assistance for Seniors: The Committee for Senior Housing Aid in Glencoe has helped keep Glencoe seniors in their homes for more than 30 years by providing small grant awards to Glencoe seniors who meet the program’s asset and income criteria to help them pay their property taxes or monthly rent.
Learn more >>
- Vibrant Living Discussion Group: FSG hosts a monthly Vibrant Living Senior Discussion Group to engage older adults in lively conversation and study on relevant topics in this important season of life. This group bring opportunities for new friendships and personal growth. Learn more >>
- Older Adult Consultations: Family Service of Glencoe’s Older Adult Consultations provide the opportunity for Glencoe Seniors and/or their families to meet with a licensed clinical social worker who specializes in the aging continuum to provide support, therapeutic interventions, education, resources and referrals. Initial consultations are 1 to 1.5 hours in length with ongoing support as needed. Appointments are available Monday thru Thursday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
- CTA/PACE - Reduced Fare & Free Ride Programs: Seniors, aged 65 or older: If you are an Illinois resident, and currently enrolled in the Illinois Department on Aging’s Benefit Access Program, you are eligible for free transit on fixed routes operated by the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA), Metra and Pace. Visit the RTA for more info. Learn more >>
- New Trier Township Dial-A-Ride: Dial-A-Ride is a door-to-door taxi service that provides registered riders with discounted fares. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, residents call a designated taxi service, make a reservation for their trip, show their card to receive a reduced rate compliments of New Trier Township, and pay the reduced fare. Not wheelchair accessible. Learn more >>
- New Trier Township Mobility Access: Mobility Access is a service allowing people with mobility challenges to travel where they need to go, whether it’s to life-essential appointments or social and recreational events. The service is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Prior to using the service, riders are required to register with the Township and provide a doctor’s certification of eligibility. All riders will receive a discounted fare. Upon providing proof of income, residents with household income under $50,000 will be eligible for a 75% discount. Learn more >>
- North Shore Senior Center Escorted Transportation Service: This North Shore Senior Center program provides ambulatory seniors over the age of 60 with transportation to and from medical and dental appointments. This volunteer-based program operates Monday through Friday for appointments scheduled between 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Restricted locations. Learn more >>