Task Force Overview
Since its beginning in April 2016, the Sustainability Task Force has focused on raising awareness of sustainability efforts already taking place throughout our community. The first activity was to develop an “inventory” of what Glencoe government agencies, organizations and businesses have done so far. The Task Force will update that list periodically, but it already provides a very positive example of what is possible right here at home, from rain gardens that reduce flood risks, to solar panels that diminish heating and cooling costs, to geothermal energy that reduces our carbon footprint and more.
The Sustainability Task Force also will be putting together a sustainable project “clearinghouse." This will be a database of local projects to help other Glencoe residents “green” their own homes. Based on completed projects, the information will offer encouragement and resources for doing similar activities, from gardens, to low-flow fixtures, insulation, thermal windows, solar panels and beyond.
From the simple to the more complex undertakings, the Sustainability Task Force will be able to learn from our experienced Glencoe neighbors. The Task Force will be recommending other events and activities to facilitate Glencoe’s enhanced sustainability into the future.
Upcoming Sustainable Events in Glencoe
Development of the Glencoe Sustainability Task Force
- A Sustainability Study in 2009 by the Contextual Design Review Commission;
- A review in 2010 by the Plan Commission of the "Recommended Strategies" and "Next Steps" included in the Sustainability Study;
- Hosting by the Plan Commission of meetings of public bodies and community groups to share sustainability initiatives, polices and practices;
- Formation of the Sustainability Working Group in 2011 to assist the Village in advance sustainability initiatives in the community, whose final report was finished in 2013, including a recommendation to create a more formal advisory body;
- Creation of the Glencoe Sustainability Task Force in April 2016 to discuss, analyze and recommend responsible sustainability initiatives to the Village Board.
Sustainability Task Force Members
Hall Healy, Chair
Peter Mulvaney, Village of Glencoe Trustee, Vice Chair
Gray Drobny, Public-at-Large
Sandy Culver, Public-at-Large
Lisa Fremont, Public-at-Large
Ashley Kain Silver, Glencoe School Board
Dudley Onderdonk, Glencoe Park District Board
Cathering Procopi, Public-at-Large
Larry Reilly, Public-at-Large
Elsabe Schimmelpenninck van der Oije, Public-at-Large
Jennifer Varela, Public-at-Large