Simple Recycling for Curbside Textile Recycling
Have you used your Simple Recycling orange bags yet? The Village of Glencoe teamed up with Simple Recycling to launch the residential curbside textile recycling program in July 2021. It is a quick and easy way to give new life to the unworn, unloved clothing piling up in your closets!
Simply fill the orange bags with used items like clothing, shoes and blankets. and place the bags at the curb next to your refuse carts on your regular garbage and recycling collection day. The driver will leave a new replacement bag behind for future use.
Glencoe residents were mailed a starter pack of two bags by Simple Recycling in July. If you misplaced your bags or did not receive one, bags can be ordered directly through Simple Recycling.
Here are a few facts about the program:
- It's free! The Village and its residents are not occurring any fees from this program.
- You don't need to sign up! No subscriptions or registration needed to participate in this program.
- This a year round program. You can place orange bags out for Simply Recycling any time of year.
- Bags should be placed next to (not inside!) the collection carts by 7 a.m.
- All of the materials collected are graded and sorted based on quality and condition. The top quality materials will be resold to local thrift outlets, mid grade is exported to international markets for resale and “unusable” items (i.e. textiles with rips, stains or holes) are processed for raw materials such as rags or insulation.
- There is no tax receipt available – Simple Recycling is a for-profit business. If you prefer to donate to a charity, you can wait until the annual Village Recycle and Donate Drop-Off Event (reusable clothing only) or find another non-profit organization at any time. We recommend using donatestuff.com
Glencoe now has an easy way to keep a whole list of materials out of the landfill – and it is just a quick walk to the end of your driveway!