It's the Final Countdown - Stay on Track with the Transition to New Garbage Collection Program
It’s the final countdown – we are fast approaching the launch of the Village’s new garbage collection program with Lakeshore Recycling Systems (LRS), set to begin Wednesday, November 1. As we get closer to the transition date, we want to make sure that you know exactly what to expect, both to keep you in the know and to help ensure that the transition to LRS is as smooth as possible.
Here are some reminders and service details to help keep you on track:
- Service Selections are due by Monday, October 16: Please make your service selections if you have not already done so. Because we are so close to the deadline, we suggest using the online portal here or calling LRS at (773) 685-8811 to make your selections. You may also choose to complete and mail back the bi-fold brochure that LRS mailed to all homes in mid-September. If you’re unsure whether your household is set-up for the new service, please call LRS at (773) 685-8811.
- New Cart Delivery: If you have opted to receive a new 65- or 95-gallon standardized garbage cart from LRS, LRS crews will drop-off your new cart during the week of October 23. During this week, place your garbage cart or cans out on your regular collection day (trash may be in the cans) with a sign stating that you would like them removed. If you’re placing multiple carts/cans out to be removed, please put a sign on each cart/can. will remove the container and your new cart will be delivered at the same time.
- Curbside Collection: Many of you also elected to change your service level from top-of-drive to curbside for the new program. As a reminder, your garbage collection day will remain the same, but you are now asked to have both your garbage and recycling carts to the curb by 7 a.m. on your collection day. Look up your collection day here and view a diagram of proper cart placement here.
- Leaf Collection Program: Expect no changes to your leaf collection program. Leaves will continue to be collected curbside by Village Public Works Crew members this season and LRS will continue that practice next year. Please note, however, that because of the warm weather which has kept trees from dropping leaves, the leaf collection program will not begin until the last week of October. Until then, should you need to rake, please bag your leaves for collection on Wednesdays with yard waste. We do not suggest piling your leaves at the curb, as the piles can damage the grass if left for long periods of time.
- Yard Waste Program: LRS will continue the Yard Waste Program in its current form. As part of the service selection, you were able to opt-in to a Yard Waste Subscription Program, or you can also continue to pay for each bundle or bag of yard waste with a yard waste sticker. Stickers will continue to be sold for $2.25 at Village Hall (open from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday), as well as at the Grand Food Center on Hazel Avenue (open 7 a.m.-9 p.m. daily). For the remainder of this season (through December), you may continue to use your Village yard waste stickers, but we do ask that prior to December 15 you bring any additional stickers into Village Hall to be exchanged one-for-one with LRS stickers.
- Final Garbage and Recycling Bills from the Village: The Village currently bills for garbage and recycling services, in addition to water. Once the new program begins, the Village will continue to bill for water, but your garbage and recycling bill will come directly from LRS. Because the Village is billed on a rotating basis, you may notice a bill from the Village and LRS come within the same month, but if you fall into this group, the Village has already taken steps to prorate your bill to ensure you don’t pay more than you are required to bill. Questions about your Village bill? Contact the Finance Department at (847) 835-4113. After November 1, all garbage billing questions should be directed to LRS at (773) 685-8811
- Other service questions? LRS has created a page just for Glencoe residents. Take a look here.
As I have said before, with any change, there are bound to be minor hiccups in this process. Please be assured that Village and LRS staff are working hard to anticipate your questions in planning for the transition. Throughout this effort, we welcome your feedback and questions. Please do not hesitate to call us at (847) 835-4111 or send us an e-mail at email@example.com.