Business Assistance

Home : Services : Business Services : Business Assistance
Village of Glencoe Small Business Improvement Program
Façade and exterior building improvements can have a positive impact on the overall appearance and vitality of Glencoe's existing businesses. The Village of Glencoe is offering eligible small businesses a unique opportunity to facilitate these desired exterior improvements through the Small Business Improvement Program (SBIP). The program seeks to enhance Glencoe’s image as a retail, dining and entertainment destination as well as to provide assistance to the independent merchant who may feel pressure from national and regional competition. By making a financial investment in those businesses that avail themselves to the SBIP, the Village will strengthen the competitive advantage of conducting business in Glencoe and strengthen the Village’s tax base. Additional benefits are:
  • Maintain a Healthy Mix of Commercial Establishments
  • Enhanced Landscaping
  • Maintenance of Community Character
The SBIP program includes $10,000 in funding for FY 2014 to assist business and property owners with improving the appearance and functionality of Glencoe’s businesses. SBIP is a 50/50 cost sharing program where the Village will pay the cost of 50% of approved and eligible improvements, up to a maximum of $5,000 per project. This program is a public/private partnership designed to provide stimulus and assistance to encourage building improvements that preserve the character of the Village and will be administered in the order applications are received until the total allocation of $10,000 for FY2014 is expended.
Please click the links below to access the following documents in PDF format:
For more information regarding the Small Business Improvement Program, please contact:
David Kraus
Village Manager’s Office
675 Village Court, Glencoe, IL 60022
Phone: (847) 835-4114
Fax: (847) 835-1785

Business Assistance from Local Agencies 

Illinois workNet Center

The Illinois workNet Center is a comprehensive employment, business services and support resource in Northern Cook County.  For more information on the Illinois workNet Center visit their website at:
Small Business Development Centers (SBDC)
SBDC provide management assistance to current and prospective small business owners. SBDCs offer one-stop assistance to individuals and small businesses by providing a wide variety of information and guidance in central and easily accessible branch locations. The program is a cooperative effort of the private sector, the educational community and federal, state and local governments and is an integral component of Entrepreneurial Development's network of training and counseling services. Examples of services include:
·         One-on-one business counseling and management assistance
·         Assistance with the development of business plans 
·         Help accessing marketing information and the development of business plans
·         Business Financing Programs 
·         Assistance with financial analysis and planning
·         Access to business education and training opportunities
Illinois Small Business Development Center offices can be found locally at:
Illinois SBDC at Evanston Technology Innovation Center
820 Davis Street, Suite 137
Evanston, IL 60201
(847) 866-1817

Illinois SBDC at Harper College
Harper Professional Building
650 East Higgins Road, Suite 18N
Schaumburg, Illinois 60173
(847) 925-6520
Another resource for business owners is the Workforce Board of Northern Cook County which administers the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) program in Northern Cook County. This program has demonstrated its success in helping unemployed individuals obtain employment. Last year over 8 million jobseekers used the workforce system, supported largely with WIA funding, and over 4.3 million obtained jobs while others received education and training to prepare them for new careers. For more information visit:

Business Assistance from State and Federal Agencies
When starting a business, there are numerous State and Federal agencies that may be necessary to contact. The State of Illinois operates a website - the “State of Illinois Business Portal” which offers guidance to the business community. The following page includes a small sampling of the agencies that should be contacted if you are interested in starting and/or operating a business in Glencoe.

State of Illinois Business Portal

The State of Illinois has created a site that puts all business related information in one place. The Illinois Business Portal also has a search engine to help you find the forms you need.
Choosing a Business Name

If you conduct business in Illinois under an assumed or corporate name, file for a certificate with the County. Lists of current business names are available at: 
Cook County Clerk’s Office
County Building
118 North Clark Street (Lower Level)
Chicago, Illinois 60602
(312) 603-5656
Incorporating Your Business

Decide (with the advice of an attorney) whether your business will be a Sole Proprietorship, Partnership, Limited Partnership or Corporation. If you incorporate or establish a limited partnership, you must register with the State of Illinois at:

Secretary of State
69 W. Washington Street (12th Floor)
Chicago, Illinois 60602
(312) 793-3380
Obtaining Your Federal Identification Number

Corporations and Partnerships require Federal Employer Identification Numbers (FEIN). A Sole Proprietorship may be able to use its Social Security Number. You can obtain your FEIN at Federal Taxpayer Service (IRS). 

Federal Building
230 South Dearborn (17th Floor)
Chicago, Illinois 60601
(800) 829-4933  
Obtaining Your State Sales Tax Number
If you will engage in a type of retail sales business, you must have a sales tax number (either an Illinois Business Tax number or a Retailer’s Occupational Tax number). You can obtain your sales tax number at:
Illinois Department of Revenue
100 West Randolph Street (Concourse Level)
Chicago, Illinois 60601
(312) 814-3190
State of Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity
The State of Illinois has extensive websites dedicated to each of its departments. Many resources are available to help start a business. You may start with the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO) website. An excellent resource for general business information is the DCEO Handbook, Starting a Business in Illinois. This publication includes a feasibility checklist and a business plan outline. For information regarding state licenses, permits, registrations and assistance programs, contact:
First Stop Business Information Center
(800) 252-2923
James R. Thompson Center
100 West Randolph
Chicago, IL 60601
(312) 814-7179
State of Illinois Business Start-Up Incentives
By providing entrepreneurs with a wealth of incentives to open their businesses here, Illinois enjoys a diverse and potent economy. With small business tax incentives such as Enterprise Zones and other programs, Illinois is devoted to giving its businesses the advantage in today’s competitive marketplace. Learn more about the incentives and programs offered to business at or by calling (800) 252-2923.
Business Registration
A Limited Liability Company (LLC) is the non-corporate form of doing business that provides its owners with limited liability. Flow-through tax treatment and operating flexibility through participation in management of the business. For a packet containing organization information, write or call:
Limited Liability Company Division
Room 359, Howlett Building
Springfield, IL 62756
(217) 524-8008
TDD: (800) 252-2904
Corporations and S Corporations must register with the Secretary of State’s Office. Booklets are available upon request on organizing domestic corporations (headquartered out of state or out of the country). Contact the Secretary of State at:
Business Services
17 North State, Room 1137
Chicago, IL 60602
(312) 793-3380
TDD: (800) 252-2904
If the name of a business is different from the owner(s) exact, full, legal name(s), the Illinois Assumed Name Act requires Sole Proprietorships and Partnerships to register with the office of the city or county clerk where the business is located. Under the Illinois Revised Uniform Limited Partnership Act of 1986, limited partnership filings became centralized with the Secretary of State. The Division has a Chicago office, which should only be used for filing purposes. Contact the Limited Partnership Division at:

17 North State, Room 1137
Chicago, IL 60602
(312) 793-2872
TDD: (800) 252-2904
Illinois Unemployment Insurance
Every newly created employing unit must register with the Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES) within 30 days of start-up. Use the UI-1 form, “Report to Determine Liability under the Illinois Unemployment Insurance Act”. Employers can also register electronically through the Illinois TaxNet website:
Most new employers are responsible for making contributions at the current rate of 0.8-7.2 percent of each worker’s wages up to $12,000 per calendar year. (There are other rates for certain industries such as construction, mining and agriculture.) You may also be liable if you acquire all or part of a business already subject to the Unemployment Insurance Act.
To determine liability, complete a “Report to Determine Liability” form and submit it to the Unemployment Insurance Revenue Division of Employment Security. If it is determined that you are liable, an account number will be assigned and reporting forms mailed to you each quarter. Reports and contributions are due no later than the last day of the month following the end of the calendar quarter. Reports must be filed quarterly listing the worker’s wages, even if there is no contribution due because all of the workers have already reached the $12,000 threshold. Call (800)327-4473 or e-mail questions to the New Hire Unit at
Illinois Department of Employment Security
Unemployment Insurance Division
401 South State Street
Chicago, IL 60605
(312) 793-4880
Workers’ Compensation
All employers must provide workers’ compensation to cover employee’s accidental death, injury or occupational diseases arising out of the course of employment. Workers’ Compensation coverage is most commonly arranged through private firms or agents. Annual premiums are based on company payroll, loss experience and type of business. Temporary workers who receive no other company benefits must be covered under Worker’s Compensation. For further information contact:
Illinois Industrial Commission
100 East Randolph, 8-200
Chicago, IL 60606
(312) 814-6611
TDD: (312) 814-2959
State Taxes
If you plan to hire employees, buy or sell products wholesale or retail, or manufacture goods, you must register with the Illinois Department of Revenue (IDOR). Retailers must obtain an Illinois Business Tax identification number (IBT) and report this number to the City Economic Development Department. An IDOR registration kit can be obtained by contacting the Illinois Department of Revenue at (800) 732-8866, TDD: (800) 544-5306 or by writing or visiting the Illinois Department of Revenue at:

100 West Randolph, Suite C-300
Chicago, Illinois 60601
(800) 732-8866
Labor Laws
Businesses also must comply with the Illinois Wage Payment and Collection Act, Minimum Wage Law, Six Day Work Week Law, Child Labor Law and the Toxic Substance Disclosure Law. For information on these laws contact the IDOL at (217) 782-6206 or (312) 793-2800 or their website at
Poster Display Requirements
Federal and state laws require certain posters be displayed on premises to inform employees of their Workers’ Compensation rights and benefits. Businesses with 15 or more employees must display the “Equal Opportunity Is THE LAW” poster, available from the Equal Opportunity Commission, (800) 669-6820. Businesses with one or more employee must display the “Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s Safety” poster, “Family Medical Leave Act”, “Fair Labor Standards Act”, and the “Employee Polygraph Protection Act” posters. The Illinois Department of Labor (IDOL) requires employers to display the “Notice to Employers and Employees” poster which describes all IDOL and most state posting requirements for Illinois businesses. These posters are available by contacting the U.S. Department of Labor at (312) 353-012 or at
Federal Assistance
Similar assistance is found at the Federal level. To determine Federal licenses, permits, registrations and assistance programs, you are encouraged to contact the Federal Information Center at (800) 688-9889.
The US Small Business Administration (SBA)

The SBA provides programs and services to help you plan your business, start your business, grow your business and succeed in business. The services provides by the SBA include grants, financial assistance, contracting opportunities, compliance assistance, counseling, disaster assistance, and on line training, among others.

US Small Business Administration
409 3rd Street, SW
Washington, DC 20416
SBA Answer Desk: 1-800-U-ASK-SBA (800.827.5722)
Answer Desk TTY: (704) 344-6640
675 Village Court, Glencoe, IL 60022 | 847-835-4111 | | Hours: 8:00am - 4:30pm Monday - Friday
© 2017 Village of Glencoe|Site design and development by| Site Map|Privacy Policy| Terms & Conditions|Contact Us| RSS|Intranet Access