: Village of Glencoe Achieves Gold Level Award for Green Initiatives
Village of Glencoe Achieves Gold Level Award for Green Initiatives
The Village of Glencoe was recently recognized for its efforts to improve air quality in the Chicago region by the Clean Air Counts Program. Clean Air Counts is a collaborative effort sponsored by the Metropolitan Mayors Caucus, the City of Chicago, federal and state environmental protection agencies, and nearly 100 member municipalities. This multi-year initiative seeks to achieve specific and significant reductions in targeted smog-forming pollutants, ozone-causing emissions and in energy consumption.
Clean Air Counts campaign participants are ranked on four levels: bronze, silver, gold, and platinum. In 2007 the Village of Glencoe joined Clean Air Counts and achieved the bronze-level member award. Through cumulative efforts to improve air quality since 2007, Glencoe was recognized with a gold level member award in June 2012.
Since 2007, Glencoe has continued its commitment to cleaner air by implementing numerous green initiatives including the following:
- Installation of energy efficient lighting at Village Hall;
- Adoption of a municipal fleet anti-idling policy;
- Optional purchasing of renewable energy through the Village’s alternative electricity supplier Mc²;
- Public outreach programs and events; such as the Glencoe Goes Green exhibition in 2011 and theGreen Goals for Glencoe outreach event in 2012;
- Adoption of the Greenest Region Compact in 2008, a voluntary initiative of the Metropolitan Mayors Caucus to improve the region’s air, water and land, reduce greenhouse gases, minimize waste, and reduce energy consumption through a series of environmental actions;
- Demonstrated commitment to energy efficiency with its endorsement of a Sustainability Study prepared in July 2009, with two of the ten strategies being “Reducing Energy Consumption” and “Air Quality”; and
- Conducting an energy efficient and green building code audit through the Village’s Sustainability Working Group.
For further information concerning this award please contact Ilir Ademaj in the Village Manager’s Office at (847) 461-1104 / email@example.com.