Home : Services : FAQ's

General FAQs

Q: How do I get to the Village Hall?

A: From the north, take Green Bay Road south to Park Avenue, Turn right onto Park Avenue, heading west to Village Court. Turn left to 675 Village Court.

From the south, take Green Bay Road to Park Avenue, Turn left onto Park Avenue heading west to Village Court. Turn left to 675 Village Court. From the east, take Park Avenue west to Village Court. Turn left to 675 Village Court.

From the west, take Dundee or Lake Cook Road to Green Bay Road. Turn right to Park Avenue, turn right to Village Court, turn left to 675 Village Court.

back to top

Q: What are the Village Hall hours of operation

A: The Community Service Counter, Finance Department and Village Manager’s office are open Monday through Friday 8AM to 4:30PM to meet with residents. The Glencoe Public Safety Department window is available 24 hours a day for residents. The North entrance is accessible from 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM. Access is available 24 x 7 from the south entrance.

back to top

Q: What is the non-emergency police telephone number?

A: Public Safety can be reached at (847) 835-4112.

back to top

Q: What is the deadline for purchasing a Village vehicle license?

A: The deadline for vehicle stickers is April 15, after that date resident's will no longer receive a discounted purchasing price.

back to top

Q: Where do I get a beach pass?

A: Beach passes are only obtainable through the Glencoe Park District, 999 Green Bay Road, 847-835-3030.

back to top

Q: I need a handicapped driver sign for my car, where can I get it?

A: The New Trier Township Office, 739 Elm Street, Winnetka, 847-446-8200 handles the responsibility of issuing handicapped designations.

back to top

Q: My child needs a work permit, where can I get this?

A: New Trier High School, 847-446-7000

back to top

Q: I want to get a seniors pass for the RTA, how do I get one?

A: Bring a passport size photo and one form of proof of birth date to Resident Services at the Village Hall. An application will need to be completed and then submitted to the RTA along with your photo and proof. The reduced rate pass will be mailed directly to you from the RTA, expect it to take 3-4 weeks.

back to top

Q: When does the Village Board Meet?

A: The Village Board typically meets the third Thursday of every month. A list of upcoming meeting and events is available on the Meeting & Events page.

back to top

Q: Do I need to get a permit to install a play set?

A: Yes, you need a permit but there is no fee required. However, children's play sets and tree houses must conform to zoning ordinance location requirements, so in order to obtain your permit you will need to submit a plat of survey of your property so the allowable setback information can be accurately provided before installation.

back to top


Q: What is the sales tax in Glencoe?

A: Please click on the link below to view the current sales tax rate in Glencoe.


back to top

Q: What are the hours of operation for the Finance Department?

A: The Finance Department is open from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.

back to top

Q: How am I billed for water?

A: The Village is divided into three billing districts each of which are billed on a regular quarterly basis. Effective March 1, 2013, the Village's water rate is $3.403 per 100 cubic feet. The Village Sewer Rate is $.957 x units of consumption (1 unit = 100 cubic feet).

back to top

Q: What is the difference between a Budget and a CAFR?

When reviewing financial materials it is important to understand that a budget and a CAFR present different perspectives on similar operations. Primarily, a budget is the plan for a given time period, while a CAFR represents the actualized outcomes of that same period. Generally, the CAFR will contain a comparison of budgeted and actual financials. The CAFR is most useful to residents seeking to learn where and on what the Village spends tax dollars, while the budget reflects the Village’s proposal for services and programs in the coming Fiscal Year.

back to top

Q: What is a Treasurer’s Report?

A Treasurer’s Report is a report compiled by the Village Treasurer that highlights cash balance, listing revenues (payments in) and disbursements (payments out) for a defined period.

back to top

Public Works

Q: How do I report a missed garbage / recycling pick up?

A: Please call the Public Works department at 835-4111 to report your missed pick-up.

back to top

Q: Why are colored flags and paint markings on my property?

A: When projects require digging, in order to assure that working conditions will be safe, the underground utilities must be located and identified by the various utility companies. Each utility must mark where their buried facilities are. Red - electric power lines, cables conduit and lighting cables; yellow - gas, oil steam, petroleum or gaseous materials; orange - communication, alarm or signal line cables or conduit; blue - potable water; green - sewer drains and lines, white - proposed excavation; pink - temporary survey markings. The paint that is used to mark sidewalks, streets, and grassy areas is made of a water soluble vegetable dye and will in 3 - 4 weeks wear away.

back to top

Q: But why my property?

A: Nine times out of ten its your own project that is requiring utility locates to be done. Whether planting a tree, installing a fence or basketball hoop, having some landscaping done or a sprinkler system installed, any time the project entails digging locates must be completed. On that remaining tenth occasion, when the project is not yours, the project belongs to a neighbor or is a Village project. In either case all utilities involved in the project must be marked even if it happens to land on your property. Locating the underground utilities is for the safety of everyone.

back to top

Q: I want to remove a tree from my property, do I need a permit?

A: If the diameter of the tree is 8" or greater, yes, a permit is required. In order to obtain a permit, an application for tree removal must be completed and submitted along with it a copy of your survey indicating where on the property the tree can be found.

back to top

Q: I'm a new resident, what services do I need to set up with the Village?

A: Welcome to the Village! New residents can call the Public Works office at 847.835.4111 to set-up water services and garbage/recycling pick-up. You can also view our New Residents page to learn more about setting up other area services and related Village information.

back to top

Public Safety

Q: Who should I call to answer questions about my traffic ticket?

A: If you have questions about a traffic ticket that the Glencoe Department of Public Safety issued, call the Cook County Court in Skoie at 847-470-7200.

back to top

Q: How do I report a power outage?

A: Power outages should be reported to Commonwealth Edison at 1-800-EDISON1 (1-800-334-7661)

back to top

Q: What should I do if I hear the tornado siren?


Unless you have an emergency that requires assistance, please do not call 9-1-1 or the non-emergency number to inquire about the sirens. If you hear the sirens then seek proper shelter and listen to your television or radio for updates. If you have any weather related questions call the National Weather Service 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. at 815-834-1435 or check online at www.nws.noaa.gov.  Please note that regular tests of the emergency sirens are done on the first Tuesday of every month at 10:00am.

back to top

Q: Are Vehicle Stickers required in Glencoe?

A: Yes.  Each vehicle garaged or registered within the Village must have a valid vehicle sticker displayed in the windshield at all times.


In early March, a pre-printed application form will be mailed to owners of vehicles registered in Glencoe. The information on the form indicates vehicles requiring a village-issued vehicle sticker. If the form is incomplete or inaccurate, please make the necessary corrections before returning the form. If you do not receive an application, please contact the Finance Department at (847) 835-4113 to request that one be mailed to you. Please review the application carefully and note that there is a discount if you purchase your vehicle sticker prior to April 15.


Public Safety Department will begin license enforcement on May 1. Village Ordinance requires that licenses be displayed and properly af?xed to the passenger-side windshield. If you have questions, please contact the Public Safety Department at (847) 835-4112.

back to top

Q: May I file a Police Report at Glencoe Public Safety for an incident that occurred outside of Glencoe?

A: No. You must file the report at the Police Department that has authority over that jurisdiction.

back to top

Q: What if I want to dispute my parking ticket?

A: If you have questions concerning a parking ticket then stop by the Police Department in person and speak with the Supervisor on duty (available 24 hours a day).  If you wish to dispute a parking ticket, you must arrange for a court date.  You then must appear at Cook County Court in Skokie on the assigned court date to contest the ticket before a judge.

back to top

Q: How do I dispose of my medications?

A: The Village of Glencoe and Save a Star Drug Awareness Foundation partnered on a new pill collection and disposal program. The purpose of this program is to collect and safely dispose of unwanted and unused medications, thus keeping them out of the hands of individuals who might otherwise become victims of prescription drug abuse.


The pill collection unit has been installed in the Glencoe Public Safety Department. The following items are acceptable for disposal:


  • Prescription medications, including controlled substances
  • All over-the counter medications
  • Medication samples
  • Pet medications
  • Vitamins and supplements
  • Medicated ointments, lotions, creams, and oils
  • Liquid medication in leak-proof containers
  • Homeopathic remedies

 Items not acceptable for deposit in the collection unit are:


  • Needles/sharps
  • Syringes with needles
  • Thermometers
  • IV bags
  • Bloody or infectious waste
  • Personal care products
  • Empty containers
  • Hydrogen Peroxide

back to top

Q: What should I do if there is a fire in my house?

A:  Exit immediately, do not attempt to save belongings.  Get everyone outside and stay together.  Call 911 from a neighbor's house.

back to top

Q: I don't know how to install my child's car seat, will the Department of Public Safety help me?

A: No.  Unfortunately, the Glencoe Department of Public Safety does not presently have a Certified Child Safety Seat Technician on staff.  However, other local agencies offering this service can be found at the following link - http://www.safercar.gov/cpsApp/cps/map/findfitting.htm?q_State=&q_Zip=60022

back to top

Q: Does the Public Safety Department offer a House Watch service?

A: When making vacation plans, and whenever a house will be unoccupied for a period of time, residents are urged to contact the Glencoe Department of Public Safety to request that their home be placed on its “House Watch List.” Call 847-835-4112.

back to top

Q: Is overnight parking prohibited?

A: Parking is prohibited on all Glencoe streets between the hours of 2 am and 6 am.  When temporary, extraordinary circumstances require that a vehicle be left on the street overnight, please call the Department of Public Safety at 847-835-4112 to request special parking consideration.

back to top

675 Village Court, Glencoe, IL 60022 | 847-835-4111 | info@villageofglencoe.org | Hours: 8:00am - 4:30pm Monday - Friday
© 2017 Village of Glencoe|Site design and development by Americaneagle.com| Site Map|Privacy Policy| Terms & Conditions|Contact Us| RSS|Intranet Access